Bharat G. Somkuwar
Bharat G. Somkuwar, M.Tech.
Department/Programme Name: Bioresources Database and Bioinformatics
• 2016-(submission under progress),PhD, Dept. of Biophysics, Molecular Biology and Bioinformatics, Calcutta University, Rajabazar Science College Campus, 92, APC Road, Kolkata-70009.
• 2002-2004, M.Tech, Indian Institute of Information Technology- Allahabad, Devghat, Jhalwa, Prayagraj-211015.
• 2014-till date, Scientist-C, Institute of Bioresources and Sustainable Development, Imphal, Takyelpat Institutional Area, Imphal-795001.
• 2008 - 2014, Scientist-B, Institute of Bioresources and Sustainable Development, Imphal, Takyelpat Institutional Area, Imphal-795001.
• 2007-2008, Project Associate-II, Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic plants, Lucknow, P.O-CIMAP, Near Kukrail Picnic Spot Lucknow-226015.
• 2006-2007, Assistant Manager (Software), Coral Gene Craft (unit of Coral Telecom Limited), NOIDA, E2, Sector-63, NOIDA-201301.
• 2004-2005, Lecturer, G.H.Raisoni National College, Jinkushal Campus, Mathepura, Boriya Road Po Box No 14, Raipur.
• 2005, Visiting Faculty, MATS University, Kharora Highway, Aarang Raipur – 493441.
Awards & Fellowships
• 2016: 6th e-northeast award, North East Development Front, Government of India, Shillong
• 2002: Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE).
• 2006: Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE).
Memberships (Professional Associations / Societies)
• Life Member of International Indian Statistical Association, USA.
Specialized Training (if any)
• 2014, Indo-US sponsored training on ‘Molecular modeling and Informatics in Drug Design-II’ at NIPER, Mohali.
• 2012, Two weeks training program for all the coordinators of NE India on gene cloning, protein purification and crystallization at Advanced Center for Treatment, Research and Education in Cancer (ACTREC), Tata Memorial Center, Mumbai.
• 2012, Training workshop on Biodiversity data discovery and publishing at WII, Dehradun.
• 2010, Training of Trainers’ (ToT) in documentation, assessment and promotion of local health tradition of Manipur” at Manipur Biodiversity Board, Manipur.
• 2008, DST sponsored Summer School in ‘Molecular modeling and Informatics in Drug Design’ at NIPER, Mohali.
• 2014, Certificate of appreciation from former Hon’ble CM of Manipur for e-governance IBSD-Intra site implementation.
• 2018, Appreciation from former Hon’ble CM of Mizoram for online Biodiversity databases.
Design and development of bioresources database.
In-silico data annotation
In-Combo screening of bioactive molecules
Design and development of bioinformatics tool
Biodiversity refers to the total variety and variability among living organisms in which it occurs and impacts on the ecosystem. Cataloging biodiversity of the nation is a vital assignment in general and urgent need to conserve bioresources in particular. Since biological, ecological and cultural diversities are interlinked with each other. A few efforts have been made elsewhere on the cataloging of species-specific databases. North-East region of India bestowed with beautiful, bountiful resources and has tremendous untapped bioresources. Biodiversity informatics now providing more attention towards the development of the species and region-specific databases. The main focus of the unit is digitization of flora, fauna and other bioresources available at the Indian region of Indo-Burma biodiversity hotspot including in-silico annotations for molecular mapping and biotechnological interventions towards sustainable development.
So far, the unit has a compilation of more than 6500 records from primary and secondary sources from the variety of species inclusive of bamboo, citrus, zingiber, rhododendrons, Trichoderma, orchids, cyanobacteria, medicinal and edible insects to name a few. Global statistics reveals more than 50-80 countries browsing online databases developed by bioresources database and bioinformatics unit of IBSD.