The Institute of Bioresources and Sustainable Development although registered in April, 2001, under the Manipur Societies Registration Act, 1989, the regular activity of the Institute could be started only with the appointment of its first Director on 18th January, 2003 to achieve the following mission, goal and objectives.
Bioresources development and their sustainable use through biotechnological interventions for the socio-economic growth of the region.
Scientific management of bioresources in the Indian region falling under Indo-Burma Biodiversity Hotspot.
- To set up the state of art biotechnology research facilities at Imphal which is at the centre of the Indo-Burmese Biodiversity Hotspot for sustainable development of bioresources using -tools of modern biology.
- To study and document the unique biodiversity of bio-geographic junction of the Indian and oriental landmasses.
- To develop biotechnological interventions for sustainable development and utilization of bioresources
- To undertake capacity building (human resource development) in bioresouces conservation and management.
- To generate technological packages for employments generation and economic progress of the region.
- To collaborate with other institutions/- organizations/- universities nationally and internationally in furthering research pursuits in bioresources.